Transitioning to a toddler bed

18 Mar

On Saturday we changed J’s crib to a toddler bed. J had been asking for a “door” on his bed for a few weeks now so we figured it was probably time. I think everyone was ready except me. Transitions are tough, especially for the momma. It not only means that your little baby is getting that much older, but that you have to either learn a new routine or unlearn an old one or both at the same time.
I love that I could put J to bed and he would play in his crib until he fell asleep. I also loved the knowledge that if he woke up in the middle of the night he could play in his crib and I knew he was safe. Mornings have been the best because he spends the first 15-20 minutes singing and talking after he wakes up and I love hearing him through the monitor.
So here is how the transition went from a crib to a toddler bed.
Day 1:
Nap: He easily took a nap in his toddler bed, but we put him down for a nap later than usual and he was exhausted. When he woke up he climbed out of bed to go to the door even though we specifically told him to call for us and we would come to him.
Nighttime: It took him over an hour to go to sleep and Chase had to go in there and put him back in bed when we saw through our monitor that he was no longer in bed. He asked Chase to lay on the floor, which he did for a few minutes. Not sure if it took him this long to go to sleep because of the later nap or because of the change in bed. Around 2:30am J woke up and barely said “momma.” I just barely heard it, and by the time I got into his room, he was already at his door. I once again explained to him that he needed to wait for me to come get him. Well, then he wanted a drink, and to be rocked, and then I put him back to bed. But he was awake until after 4. I heard every little peep out of him. He did such a great (hear the sarcasm) job of saying my name super quiet. I was on high alert so I didn’t get much sleep. He would barely call out momma and give me no time to get to him before he was up and out of bed. Finally after 4am he went back to sleep and I did too. What a night!
Day 2:
Nap: He played in bed for a good 30 minutes and scooted his legs off the side but didn’t get down for a while. Finally he got down and Chase put him back in bed and he fell asleep for about a 45 minute nap.
Nighttime: J went to sleep pretty much right away and slept through the night! Woo Hoo!
Day 3:
Nap: He played in bed for about 30 minutes once again and he kept putting one foot on the floor and then putting it back in bed. I finally went in and told him it was time to take a nap. He wanted me to lay on the floor so I did for about 5 minutes until he was asleep. He slept for about an hour.
Nighttime: Chase put J to bed and he didn’t fall asleep right away, but he was asleep after about 30 minutes. He was pretty still the whole time though and didn’t try to get out of bed. He slept the whole night!
Day 4:
Nap: We had a long day today so J fell asleep at nap time right away He slept an hour and a half before I woke him up! That is a rarity!
Nighttime: Just put J in his bed and he is laying still.

I’m not saying that the transition phase is over. I will give it through the end of the week. I hope this keeps going though. I am thinking of buying a stop light clock that turns red when it is time to sleep and turns green when it is time to wake. Not sure if I want to spend the money, but I will wait and see how the rest of this week goes.

Transitioning to a toddler bed is happening people!

Leave a comment

Posted by on March 18, 2014 in Uncategorized


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: